Covid-19 Rental Information

Rent Increases

Rent increases may resume as soon as December 1st, 2020. For your rent to increase on December 1st your landlord must have given you a notice of rent increase at least three months prior (September 1st or earlier). If you think your rent is being increased illegally, please contact the SNA Rental Safety Coordinator.


The Residential Tenancies Branch (RTB) has resumed eviction hearings. This means tenants can once again be evicted for non-payment of rent and all other evictable offences.


  • Talk to your landlord about the situation, and come up with a plan that works for both of you to get your rent paid. For instance, ask if you can pay as much as you have available right now, and set a date for when you think you can get the rest. You can also suggest an installment plan.
  • If you have lost pay due to coronavirus, you may be able to apply for benefits under the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). This will include anyone who is laid off or can’t get hours, anyone who is sick with coronavirus, folks who must self-isolate, and more.
  • Tell your landlord if you plan to apply for the CERB, but let them know there will be a waiting period before you can get your benefits. Make sure your plan to pay your rent takes that extra time into account.

If you are being threatened with an illegal eviction or rent increase, or need help or advice, contact the Residential Tenancies Branch or the SNA Rental Safety Coordinator using the contact info below.

How to contact the Residential Tenancies Branch right now:

The RTB office is closed to non-essential walk-ins.
You can still get help if you have an *urgent* matter with your rental situation.
You must call or email to make an appointment.

Phone: 204-945-2476
Up-to-date information:

SNA Rental Safety Coordinator

Vanessa Wiedeman
Phone:  204-979-9169

How to contact EIA right now:

EIA is currently discouraging walk-in visits.
EIA is discouraging direct calls and emails with your worker; they may not respond to you.
For fastest service, contact the EIA call centre.


Phone: 204-948-2888 (7:00am -7:00 pm, Mon-Fri)
Up-to-date information:

Common EIA Forms:

EIA Rental Form
EIA Direct Deposit Form
EIA Income Declaration Form


Advice on EIA

SNA Homelessness Outreach Mentor

Jasmine Brine
Call/Text: 204-999-4485
Facebook/Messenger: Jasmine Spencehousing

Electricity & Gas

Manitoba Hydro

Manitoba Hydro hydro disconnections have resumed.

  • This means your electricity and gas can once again be cut off if you do not pay your Hydro bill.
  • If you are having difficulty paying, Hydro can set up a flexible payment plan, and can suspend late-payment charges for up to 6 months. You must contact Manitoba Hydro to do this — if you cannot pay your bill, contact them immediately for assistance or they will charge late fees.
  • See the Manitoba Hydro website for complete information:
  • If you are dealing with existing Hydro arrears, you can contact the SNA Rental Safety Coordinator for help.

Get Help With Your Hydro Bill

Every way to pay your Manitoba Hydro bill

Every way to submit your meter reading

What to do if you can’t pay your bill

Neighbours Helping Neighbours Program, emergency funding to assist with energy bills if you are 60+ days in arrears.
Find out: if you qualify

Dealing with Hydro arrears? SNA can help! Contact the SNA Rental Safety Coordinator:

Vanessa Wiedeman
Phone:  204-979-9169


City of Winnipeg

Your water cannot be shut off during COVID-19 for payment issues, until further notice.

The City will work with you to make more flexible payment arrangements

Every way to pay your water bill

How to Read Your Meter and When to Submit Readings (Click the first option on the page)


Every way to submit your meter reading:

Submit your meter reading regularly to avoid being overcharged for estimated bills.
Submit by phone: 204-986-4445
Submit online here

Get Help With Your Water Bill

Having Difficulty Making Payments?
Contact the Utility Billing Centre

204-986-BILL (2455)
Click the link below and then click Payment Arrangements
Having Trouble Paying?

H2O (Help to Others) Program

If you are lower income and having difficulty paying your water bill, you may be eligible for assistance through the H2O program.

H20 Program


By law, your landlord must keep your rental unit at a certain minimum temperature during the day and at night.

Your landlord cannot turn off your heat if it gets colder than what is specified below, under any circumstances (not just during COVID-19).

  • Minimum daytime temperature: 21C from 7:00AM-11:00PM
  • Minimum nighttime temperature: 18.3C from 11:00PM-7:00AM

Canada Emergency response Benefit (CERB)

If you have lost pay due to coronavirus, you may be able to apply for benefits under the CERB. This will include anyone who is laid off or can’t get hours, anyone who is sick with coronavirus, folks who must self-isolate, and more.


Notice: The information on this page may become outdated quickly, and is only meant as a guide. Check directly with the source for the most up-to-date information.

Bed Bugs (and Covid-19)





Social Distancing in Your Apartment (repairs edition)

Simple Steps to Disinfect Your Home

social distancing in your apartment building

Social Distancing in your Apartment Building

dealing with bed bugs during covid-19

Dealing with Bed Bugs During Covid-19

Community Work is Heart Work!